Thanksgiving means family time, turkey and pumpkin pie! The best start to holiday celebrations is with a trip on the Pacific Surfliner. Great views and comfy seats are definitely better than sitting in traffic on the freeway!
To help accommodate the surge of travelers during Thanksgiving week, reservations were required on all Pacific Surfliner trains between Wednesday, November 23 and Sunday, November 27. During these dates, Metrolink and COASTER passes were not accepted. Amtrak monthly pass or Amtrak 10-ride ticket could still be used, and didn’t require a reservation.
While Thanksgiving is over, you can still benefit from these helpful tips:
- Book your tickets beforehand – visit Amtrak.com, call 1-800-USA-Rail, or use the Amtrak app.
- Take up to two bags (with a total weight of 150 pounds or less) for free. We have space on the first level of the train for larger and heavier luggage, and there is also room above each seat.
- If you are traveling between stations with luggage service, you can check your bags. Stations are marked on the schedule with a suitcase.
- Arrive early, especially on holiday weekends since the train stations might be busier than usual.
- Consider upgrading to Business Class for a little extra legroom, free snacks and drinks, and other perks.
- Bring valid photo identification with you, as the conductor could request it.
Keep these holiday events in mind for next year:
Traveling by train is fun – spend time with loved ones, enjoy the beautiful scenery, and experience the nostalgia of rail first-hand. You might enjoy it so much that it will become one of your new Thanksgiving traditions.
Cheers to a happy and safe holiday season!